Site Admin

UEFI boot is faster than legacy boot

Post by uefi.tech » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:00 pm

Vote and leave your argument.

matt.huang
Enthusiast

Re: UEFI boot is faster than legacy boot

Post by matt.huang » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:00 pm

It depends on the perspective. UEFI seems to boot faster, but we have to take the advance of the semiconductor manufacturing into consideration. New processors have better silicon intergration and pipeline design than they were before, since PC2001 is gradually declined, we don't need to follow much of the old-school stuff, for which I think, help UEFI boosts a bit.

There might be some debates on a processing time comparison of event-based and interrupt-based infrastructures, but I don't think it will make much of a difference between the two, by the fact that UEFI events are fundamentally driven by ticks.

Best way to prove is to practice, find an old chipset and port UEFI on it, it's fun to do though.

WilliamLeara

Post by WilliamLeara » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:57 pm

It all depends on how much stuff you're trying to get done pre-boot. I've seen ultra fast legacy BIOS and ultra fast UEFI, and also extremely slow implementations of each.

armstrong

Post by armstrong » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:29 pm

I vote True. My argument is that legacy code would engage a lot of antiquated 16-bits codes as well as legacy OPROMs, while UEFI could avoid these ancient codes and most of the code could run in 64-bits mode.
Last edited by armstrong on Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobJC

Post by BobJC » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:39 pm

I would vote False.
Lets go deep down to the bottom. If they are implementing the same logic, all of the UEFI C code will be eventually translated to assembly code. Legacy code would normally take the assembly form written by human. So I would vote human instead of compiler since human could keep optimizing the assembly code. Compiler do have the chance to win the competition, but it depends on the build options. :)

NDong

Post by NDong » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:33 am

Too many related factors: 16bits or 64 bits, OPROM, compile parameters, etc. So it is hard to determine without a clear prerequisites. UEFI is now dominating the PC firmware domain, and chipset speed is advancing, so people might get the feeling of that UEFI is faster than legacy, which might not hold true.

Jim.Keller

Post by Jim.Keller » Tue May 01, 2018 4:16 pm

Vote from customer point of view, unless someone can show me a real case of counter-example.

matt.huang
Enthusiast

Post by matt.huang » Wed May 02, 2018 3:21 pm

In fact, we can. Nowadays many of the devices are initialized (or most of the initialization) in OS (in comparison to legacy BIOS), network stack or RAID especially. For some perspective it is a cause of action in the ferocious competition of the POST time between firmware vendors. They can't figure out how to minimize the post time below 2, so they just get the time consuming process out of the structure, that is, from my point of view, how UEFI is seemly faster than the legacy BIOS.

james.r

Post by james.r » Sat May 05, 2018 2:56 pm

Agree with above, so there is no yes/no answer.